Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pins for the Win: Math Edition

I am a 6th grade teacher, but it's important to know that I pin math concepts, anchor charts, activities, etc that are not just 6th grade level. Is every child in my class working at grade level? No. And in my mind, that's OK, as long as I am supporting those working below level to help them meet standard, and as long as I am enriching and challenging those above level to keep going and going. That's my take on it. So without further ado, here are some awesome math pins that I have collected over the last year or so (again, some I have used, and others I have intention of using!)

I DO use this method. It takes so much mystery out of ordering fractions and saves time (instead of finding common denominators, multiplying top and bottom, blah blah blah. I also love how organized and clear this math notebook is. It inspired me to keep several different colored pens near my teaching station when I am modeling in my math notebook. http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986834679733/


There are parts of this pin I have used, and parts that I want to use. My students and I will include several representations of a concept in our math notebooks. We usually show the concept in words and math (shown above) but also pictorially if possible. I like how it touches on several learning styles. This coming year, I would like to experiment with the "interactive" notebook, as shown above with the flaps. I worry it will be more of a distraction/management piece than helpful! http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986834663435/


I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of this anchor chart. Would you believe it if I told you that over half of the points my students miss are not caused by an inability to perform the operation, but by SILLY MISTAKES. If anything, this anchor chart serves as a reminder to go back and check work!! I will definitely be using this in my room this year. http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986834555714/

Oh division man, you crack me up. No, I have never used division man, but I do use the mnemonic DMSB: dad, mom, sister, brother. You'd be surprised at how many of my 6th graders struggle with long division, and there are times that we see this skill in our 6th grade curriculum (especially with decimals, which trips them up even more!). I am entertaining the idea of inviting division man into the classroom this year, it'll depend on how "cool" my students are. Although, I do a lot of things that they don't think are very "cool"...and I just get the standard, "Ms.Carlyle, that is not cool." haha http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986832588185/
I'd by lying if I said I could always remember these rules....so how can I expect my 6th graders to? I LOVE this graphic. We don't specifically cover these skills and concepts in the 6th grade curriculum, but there are definitely times when we come across a word problem involving this type of conversion (which is assumed to be background knowledge) and my kids are stumped! I absolutely LOVE this graphic, and think it belongs on every general ed or math classroom wall.http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986832540721/
I chose to share this pin because it showcases something I currently do, and something I'd like to do. Each day my students and I write down our learning target for that lesson. It goes at the very top of the page of our notes and classwork that day. At the end of the lesson, we have a quick discussion on if we feel great, so-so, or not great at all about meeting our goal. I use that as a very informal assessment on how my students are doing (along with many other things). As I mentioned earlier, I would like our math notebooks to be more interactive, as this one above is. That can be as easy as cutting out shapes and gluing them in. http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986832301587/
Finally, this is something I have seen in primary classrooms and intermediate both. It goes back to that phenomenon where students KNOW the skill, but they make a silly mistake. Often times, that silly mistake involves performing the wrong basic operation. There are so many words and phrases to signify each operation (add, subtract, multiply, and divide), so this anchor chart is a great reference to support students who are unsure of their first step, or to reassure them if they think they know the correct operation. http://pinterest.com/pin/234327986832270944/


That's it for math pins today! There are definitely more to be found on my "Teacher, Teacher" board and I am literally pinning more and more every day!! I wish I could get paid for pinning...it has to be some kind of professional development right? Be on the look out for my Pins for the Win writing, art, organization, and management editions!

5 comments:

  1. I love your math pins! So many of them I have also pinned in the past, with the intention of using them. My favorite happens to be the method for comparing and ordering fractions. I call it the Power Ranger for some reason, not sure why. I completely agree with you, how its OK if students are below level in our class as long as we are meeting their needs. I know I do differentiated groups to best meet their needs. I'm curious how you do it in a 6th grade class? I love hearing other peoples ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 6th grade, we use a different math curriculum than the rest of the school (6th graders begin the curriculum they'll see in middle school the following year). I HAVE to do at least 45 minutes of core instruction. They need to be exposed to this curriculum. We have 90 minute math blocks, so the other 45 minutes is when I differentiate my instruction. Some students are pulled out by an paraprofessional to work on material that I choose, some students actually leave me for the entire math block and work with an ELL cert on the same curriculum but a slower pace, and I work in my room with select students while others who are working on or close to grade level work independently or in pairs. How do you differentiate? 5th grade, right? I am always looking for new ideas to make the best out of our learning time and be more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me clarify that not all the kids working with the ELL cert are ELL students. Students are placed in that pull-out class based on their math skills, not necessarily language skills. That class focuses on filling gaps (basic facts, place value, long division, etc) while using the 6th grade curriculum. That teacher is bilingual, which also benefits many of the students in her pull out group.

      Delete
  3. These are great math pins! A bit of above what we do in second grade,but I was introduced to the measuring picture a couple of years ago and it really does help. I also like the Division Man. Anchor charts are always helpful especially ones that are so memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. how to do division

    ReplyDelete